Diocese of Westminster, "Mobile"
03/11/09To mark the event, Archbishop Vincent Nichols has celebrated a special Mass on Sunday 1 November, the feast of All Saints, and blessed 13 new stained glass windows commissioned for the occasion. They are striking modern designs by two parishioners, Celia Díaz-Moore and Sophie D'Souza and were made by Sophie D'Souza. They were commissioned by the previous parish priest, Fr Tom Quinn and completed by the current parish priest Fr Jim Duffy.
On each side of the church are four round images relating to St Peter on one side and St Paul on the other. Two more images show Christ crowned with thorns and the Blessed Virgin. In the south transept are three large widows representing the three persons of the Trinity: the burning bush (the Father), the Lamb of God (the Son) and the white dove (the Holy Spirit). Fr Jim Duffy the parish priest said: “The fact that these windows were designed and made by our parishioners makes them even more special. They were made with such love and care and really are a reflection of our community of faith here in Northfields”.
The first proper church on the site was built by Fr John Cohen in the 1920's and opened by Cardinal Bourne on 4 July 1931. As the size of the congregation grew an extension to the church was built and opened by Bishop Craven in 1956. Finally once the Church was free of debt, it was consecrated by Bishop Cashman on 29 October 1959.
Last Updated: 03/11/2009